Tuesday, November 25, 2008

WoW Rant

A post over at Mania's Arcania reminded me of something else that happened this weekend, that really got on my nerves.

A guild on my server cleared 25-man Naxxramas, earning the server first achievement and the title "Conqueror of Naxxramas" for each of them. After the server achievement spam passed by, immediately there was outcry everywhere about how those players must not have a life, or how easy Naxx must be for them to have cleared it out so fast.

Me? I whispered the guild leader and a friend of mine who happened to be on the run to tell them congratulations, and I yelled at a guildmate for complaining. His response was that it's not putting gear on his toon or earning achievements for him, why should he be happy for them?

Seriously.. 25 people put in a massive effort to get their toons up to 80 and get in there and start working on the dungeon. And you can't even be proud that it was an Alliance guild that got there first, and not one of the Horde guilds that held the top server rankings on Malfurion throughout TBC. They got their stuff together, and they got it done. Our guild, on the other hand, well, there are (I think) four people who are 80 right now. And Mr. Whinypants isn't even one of them. So because he hasn't been able to get his character to 80, anyone else who has done so before him automatically has no life.

That's just great, really. WoW players are already labeled as pale pimply geeks living in their mothers' basements, with no social life but that they get from the game. Do we really have to regale our fellow players with that sort of nonsense? I know someone else out there in WoW blogger land has said this before me, and probably better too. But it really got knocked home this weekend.

Congratulations Ascensio!

3 fellow footsteps:

carrie said...

Tell them congrats from Izzigirl lvl 60 hunter on Terrokar ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree!

Good Job for those that put in the time and effort to get it done.

Zwingli

Maggie Moo said...

I'm always worried when I whisper that I'll do it wrong and everyone will get to read what I've written!