Monday, February 25, 2008

My Trip to Nebraska

I feel like an elementary school kid writing an essay on the first day of school. "My Summer Vacation", lol!!!

I got home from work early on Friday, and had enough time to jump in the shower before we had to head out to get the rental car. My mother-in-law had stopped by for a visit, (there are pictures on her blog - see my sidebar) and she mentioned that my sister-in-law is back in the mental hospital. I'm not really sure what she was diagnosed with the last time she was in, but apparently there was not much of a support system set up for her once she was able to go home. Hopefully they'll be able to fix that this time around.

Anyway, she went to go visit my brother-in-law when we finally got loaded into the car. We got the rental (a Mitsubishi Endeavor, very nice), and headed over to my mom and dad's house, as they were going to watch the kids (and my car) until Sunday. Once they were all set, we got our hugs and kisses and hit the road. At this point I still didn't know where we were going, only that we were "headed west", and that we'd be driving for a good 11-12 hours before we got where we were going. I fell asleep in the car some time after we passed Chicago, and stayed that way more or less until we got to Nebraska. I woke up when hubby told me we were almost there. I figured we were in Omaha, as hubby is a big fan of the Counting Crows, and they have a song about that city. But no, we were in Lincoln, which is the state capital.

We checked into our hotel (Chase Suites, I definitely recommend them), and hubby promptly collapsed into bed. I sent off a quick email to my parents with the number of our hotel, and joined him not too much later. I didn't have much more than a nap though, as I had already gotten quite a bit of sleep in the car. I woke up and went to enjoy the continental breakfast with a book.

After breakfast, I went back to the room. Hubby eventually woke up and we decided to take the car out and explore a little bit. We drove down to the capitol building, which was pretty impressive! I didn't take any pictures, because we were planning on coming back at night, and I guess it's supposed to be even more awe-inspiring then. The thing I noticed most about it was that there were several names carved into the lower part of the building, all the way around it. I asked hubby what he thought they were, but he didn't know. It actually took me quite a bit of hunting online, but I found out (finally) that they are the names of the 93 counties of Nebraska.

Next we went down to the "Haymarket" district, which was supposed to be a bunch of shops and things. There were a few stores, and some restaurants. We ate lunch at the Red Onion, which was actually part of a hotel. None of the shops really caught our eye, except the souvenir store. We stopped in to get our Nebraska shot glass, and while we were browsing, hubby spotted a book on Outhouses. I picked it up to give to my dad for his birthday or Christmas, as I think he will get a kick out of it :) We walked around the area for a couple of hours, then headed back to the hotel. On the way we drove by a store called Homer's, advertising "music and gifts". Hubby's been wanting a guitar, so we stopped in to see if they had any. They didn't, to hubby's vast disappointment.

Hubby took a nap when we got back to the room, I watched tv. When he got up we tried to pick a bar or someplace to go for dinner, but we couldn't decide on anything. So we grabbed some subs from Subway, some pop from Walgreen's, and a bunch of egg rolls from the Egg Roll King and headed back to the room for the night. We watched some Will & Grace and other stuff before we went to bed. (The egg rolls were pretty tasty, by the way. Not the best I've ever had, but I think it's safe to say that the Egg Roll King lived up to its name.)

We woke up bright and early yesterday morning to start the drive home, and had a good time talking and laughing most of the way (except for the hour or so that I fell asleep). Some places I remember that will give me a giggle for quite some time.. Walnut (what, they've only got one?), and the Kum & Go gas station.. yes, that was the actual name of the gas station. I have a picture to prove it on the camera. We got back to GR around 6:30, picked up the kids, and headed home to get ready for the raid we had signed up for before we decided to go on vacation. We did Gruul's lair, two-shotted HKM, and wiped quite a few times on Gruul himself before we finally got him down. Great loots were to be had, our druids got their tier 4 shoulders, our fury warrior got some new bracers, my hubby's CLA got his tier 4 pants, and I can't for the life of me remember who got the priest, druid, warrior pants. We got finished around 11/11:30, so I headed off to bed, and now here I am at work! Happy Monday!

1 fellow footsteps:

Mo said...

All I can say is "Damn."

How on earth are you keeping your eyes open at work today???