Monday, May 07, 2007

Killer Mold!

We do a bit of microbiology here at my work, nothing fancy, but we put up a few petri plates every week to check how clean the air is in various parts of the plant. What we do is put the plates out in each area for a couple of hours, then incubate them for two days and see what stuck to the surface. Usually we get a few bacteria, nothing that would kill you, and really nothing compared to what you'd be likely to see if you left one outside for any length of time. (Sorry to all you germophobes, but it's true!). Every once in a while we'll catch a mold spore or two, also nothing unusual, especially in the spring when it's starting to rain and things are starting to grow. Part of my job is to check out the plates on Friday and count how many bacteria we "caught". My boss usually checks out the counts to make sure there's nothing out of the ordinary that would require extra cleaning to fix.

He was on vacation last Friday, so he just came in and checked the paperwork a few minutes ago. There were a few mold spores, and he asked me if any of them made particularly large colonies. One of them was, its growth had taken up almost the entire surface of one of the plates, and I told him so. Actually, what I said was, that one of them was enormous. And my boss, seeing as he's in a pretty happy-go-lucky sassy mood from having a nice relaxing weekend, says to me, "Really? Enormous??? Did it try to eat you? *insert goofy growling noise here*"

Har har har.

3 fellow footsteps:

Barb said...

So did that mean more cleansing? (Notice I left out the obvious joke I could have made here about you being "eaten.")

Mz Jackson said...

Tell him no, but if he's not careful you're going to sic it on him!

Mo and The Purries said...

Who knew these things went on in a hotdog factory?