Thursday, March 22, 2007

PMA

No, I didn't miss the S, there, I put the A on purpose. :) I can remember when I used to get PMS, I would always develop a hair trigger on my emotions. Usually that meant that the slightest little thing would start me crying. Lately, things haven't been so nice. Over the past few months I've noticed that instead of getting sad, the smallest little things are making me angry. I don't like that at all. On a "normal" day, it takes a very great deal to make me angry. I go through several stages of exasperated before I even get close to actual anger. I've considered that a good thing, because it allows me to remain polite to people, especially at work, where communication and relationship to my coworkers is very important. I know this instant anger isn't good for me health-wise either. I get "fight or flight" symptoms, my heart starts racing, my hands start shaking, the whole nine yards. Yesterday and now today I've started out the day in that condition, and it's wearing me out. Does anyone else have this sort of pre-menstrual anger? If so, is there anything I can do about it? I'd like to know.

2 fellow footsteps:

Mags said...

Uh oh....no, sorry I don't have a great answer for this. I do notice that when I was on a different birth control pill than I am on now my emotions were a little more up and down-so maybe you could ask your doctor about how you can balance those...

Barb said...

The "fight or flight" symptoms and racing heart still sounds like panic attacks. Maybe you're more susceptible to that when your hormones are screwy before your period. Back when I was journaling in the early 90's, I did notice things flared up more around that time for me.

Although I'm probably not the best one to give any advise on anger issues right now, I would tend to think it's better than holding everything in and getting ulcers. I suppose it's what you DO with the anger?

My suggestion? Talk about it with your doctor.